The BTEC Level 4 HNC is a broad business qualification which is intended for students who are seeking an alternative to a Foundation Degree or Degree and who wish to combine study and part-time work.
The course will be taught by lecturers who have relevant business experience. The team will be complemented by guest speakers who are working within the related industries.
The BTEC Level 4 HNC course is a full time course taught over 2 days each week, where you will explore, challenge and develop your:
• key knowledge, understanding and practical skills required in your chosen business sector.
• understanding of specialist areas e.g. the business environment, business ethics, managing financial resources, organisational behaviour, marketing principles, human resource management, advertising and promotion in business management, costing and budgeting
• independent enquiry and study
• individual research to inform your own professional business practice and career choice
• vocational opportunities within the business sectors
• knowledge of wider self-employment skills e.g. intellectual property, tax, law, national insurance, accountancy, networking, advertising
• English, Maths and IT skills through the vocational assignments
• employability skills e.g. team building, leadership, advocacy, self-management, organisation, presentation, peer support as well as adaptability and problem-solving. You will study a range of core and optional units. For example:
• Business and the Business Environment
• Accounting Principles
• Human Resource Management
• Marketing Processes and Planning
• Leadership and Management
• Managing a Business Project
• Business Law
• Entrepreneurial Ventures
On successful completion of the first year of this course, you will gain a BTEC Level 4 HNC and you can achieve a BTEC Level 5 HND by studying a further year on. Home students are eligible to apply for a full-time loan from Student Finance England.
This qualification helps you to progress onto
• Employment e.g. trainee manager role for retail outlet, department leader, insurance, finance, sales and marketing
• BTEC Level 5 HND in Business at Cambridge Regional College
• Relevant degree courses at year 1 or 2 - this depends on the provider and your work presented at interview.
To progress from the BTEC Level 4 HNC to the BTEC Level 5 HND you will need to successfully complete your BTEC Level 4 HNC. Progression to the BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma is conditional on group sizes being educationally and/or economically viable.
To join the BTEC Level 4 HNC Diploma course you will need to show evidence that you have achieved the below:
48 UCAS points (DD or PPP)
Relevant level 3 qualification eg BTEC, UAL, Access to HE Diploma or 2 A levels
GCSE English and maths at grade 4/C or above or demonstrated competency at L2 or above
Mature students may have commensurate work/industry related experience that may be considered
Coursework is continually assessed by a range of methods which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment and presentations. Grades from Pass, Merit, Distinction are awarded to course work.
There are two ways you can apply for a Higher Education course at CRC - you can now apply through UCAS or directly to the college using our HE Application Form, which can be downloaded from our website www.camre.ac.uk/higher-education. You can also obtain a copy by contacting our Enquiry Team on tel. 01223 226315 or email . The completed form and references should be returned to The Admissions Office, Cambridge Regional College, Kings Hedges Road, Cambridge CB4 2QT.