Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training is appropriate for teachers, tutors, trainers, lecturers and instructors who may be working within an FE college, Community Learning and Skills Provider or Independent Learning Provider, and for those delivering work-based training such as within voluntary, community, private and public organisations. Teaching practice is a requirement of the qualification.
The Certificate gives the learner underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills needed to confirm occupational competence. A choice of assessment strategy for the mandatory units: Ascentis-devised unitised assessment tasks designed to cover all the assessment criteria within the mandatory units, allowing completion of individual units at different times.
The course will cover the knowledge and skills essential for teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sectors.
Examples of the modules covered are:
• Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training.
• Planning to meet the needs of learners in education and training.
• Delivering education and training
• Assessing learners in education and training
• Using resources in education and training
The optional unit routes will take either a work based learning route or teaching route. More information can be provided on enquiry. Examples of both routes are:
Interview Required Course Code Course requirements Fee Concessionary Fee Part time or full time Duration
Yes To achieve the Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training evidence of achievement of all the assessment criteria must be demonstrated via assignments tasks. 30 hours of teaching practice, of which there must be at least 3 observations totalling a minimum of 3 hours. £1,265 £1,265 Part time 3 hours delivered on one day per week Wednesday Evening 5-8pm Course commences 20.09.2022- 20.06.2023 1 years
Work based specialist Engage with employers to develop and support learning provision (learning and development unit) Preparing for the coaching role Identify individual learning and development needs (Learning and development unit) The principal of end point assessment practice
Teaching Practitioner Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment Working with the 14-19 age range in education and training
On successful completion of the L4 certificate you can apply for Level 5 Diploma which allows trainees to become teachers in FE institutes and could lead to salary increases and further promotions and responsibilities.
Further progression: After completing Level 5 Diploma if they wish, to progress to Professional Formation; a process that will enable QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning & Skills). QTLS is a badge of professionalism formally recognised as equivalent to QTS and allows teaching in schools (14-16).
* Appropriate competence and fluency in written and spoken English.
* You must have literacy levels suitable for reading and interpreting written tasks, and for writing coherently.
* All participants should hold a vocational qualification at minimum level 3 qualification.
* Minimum of 30 hours teaching practice or delivering CPD. This must be evidenced by an employer or provider.
* For the purposes of the award teaching is defined as full group teaching. We define a group as more than 5 students. The trainee must be leading the group in terms of writing schemes of work/ designing CPD, lesson planning and performing a range of assessments.
* Please note this is a 1-year programme so teaching/training hours should be arranged to cover the year of study of the qualification.
* Minimum age at entry 19+.