This one-year course is suitable for learners 16 and over. It will enable you to achieve a Level 1 VRQ Diploma in Professional Cookery. This course will also help you to learn, develop and practise the skills required for various sectors of the catering industry and subsequent career progression.
• A smart and professional image is essential as you will be working with the public
• Great importance is placed upon reliability - regular attendance and punctuality are essential
• You will need to purchase a catering kit and uniform before the start of the programme;
further details will be given to you at the Welcome Event
• You will have a strong passion for the catering industry
Course modules include:
• Level 1 VRQ Diploma in Professional Cookery - which provides an introduction to the industry
• food safety
• health and safety
• healthy foods and special diets
• kitchen equipment
• personal workplace skills.
It also covers how to prepare and cook food
• Methods such as boiling, poaching, steaming, baking, roasting, grilling, braising and stewing.
• Unit Certificate in Food Safety in Catering.
As with all our programmes, this course includes tutorial sessions and individual reviews, giving you individual time with your personal tutor. You will also have the opportunity to study and achieve further qualifications in Functional Skills in English or Maths to assist in your personal development.
You will be interviewed as part of the College Welcome Event which will also include screening and assessment. If successful in gaining a place you will be required to attend a Taster Day during the summer before the start of your course.
Upon completion, you could continue on to our Level 2 Technical Certificate in Professional Cookery, enter the catering and hospitality sector in a professional kitchen environment, or study a level 2 intermediate apprenticeship in Professional Cookery.
You will need 2 GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above. Potential candidates must demonstrate their commitment and enthusiasm towards a career within the catering industry. Each candidate will be considered on their experience, suitability, school reference showing good attendance and behaviour.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Theoretical aspects of the programme will mainly be assessed through assignments and short answer questions. Individual practical tests will take place throughout the programme, with two practical exams at the end of the course.