We are pleased to offer a GCSE in Biology at our Huntingdon Campus. This is an exciting syllabus that will provide students with an excellent grounding in varied aspects of biology. Many careers, such as primary school teaching and midwifery, require a science GCSE. This qualification will satisfy that need, as well as being an enjoyable and sociable class experience.
Students will be required to buy the GCSE biology book- AQA GCSE (9-1) Biology by Nick Dixon & Ali Hodgson, published by Hodder Education.
1. Cell biology- animal, plant and bacterial cells.
2. Organisation- tissues, organs and body systems.
3. Disease and defence- communicable disease, infection control and the development and use of drugs.
4. Bioenergetics- cellular respiration and photosynthesis
5. Homeostasis- the nervous system, hormones and negative feedback systems.
6. Inheritance, variation and evolution- reproduction, DNA and genetic engineering.
7. Ecology- adaptations, ecosystems and decomposition.
Having a GCSE in a science subject can enable students to progress to careers such as midwifery.
There are no specific entry requirements, but applicants will need to come to college to take literacy and numeracy tests. There will also be an interview
There are 10 compulsory practical investigations, such as observing and drawing plant and animal cells under a microscope, investigating the effect of antiseptics on bacterial growth, and an investigation into factors affecting reaction times. These practicals are not assessed, but will give students an insight into experimental skills and strategies, which will be necessary for the exams.
There are two 1.5-hour exams for biology, which are worth 50% each.