Level 2 in Art & Design
|Course Duration:||1 Year|
|Course Mode:||Full Time|
The UAL Awarding Body Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design has been designed to provide students with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to progress to further study and training in a range of art and design subjects, including fine art, photography, graphic design, textiles with fashion product design and design crafts. The qualification's structure provides a linked introduction to the broad context within which art and design activity sits.
The qualification is made up of 9 Units, 7 Units are mandatory and 2 Units are Optional. All units are related to the art and design sector, all are delivered through vocational learning.
• Project based in-class exercises to develop in depth understanding of formal art and design language: line, texture, tone, shape, form and colour etc.
• Applied and differentiated recording methods to analyse, evaluate, review historical genre, popular culture, current art forms, trends, fashion and wider topical issues to inform arts practice.
• Planning, Organisation and thinking skills aligned to art and design practice.
• Real industry ready skills embedded into competitions and live assignments e.g. planning, costing materials, teamwork and collaboration, goals setting and meeting deadlines.
• broad experimental experiences in materials, techniques and processes in the form of, observational drawing, graphic image making, mixed-media, sculpture, design crafts, printmaking, photography, digital image manipulation and film based experimental photography
• Structured and self-directed project management and independent study around self-promotion and reflection and review based within a dedicated Apple Mac Suite and PC Suite.
• Final Major Project is the creative platform to demonstrate the learning that has taken place from the completion of the other units. Self-Initiated personal themes and specialist direction in art and design.
• Planning, application, exploration and refinement. A diverse approach to Ideas generation both traditional and non-tradition and digital multi-media platforms.
• There will be personalised goal setting towards self-management and independent study. A critical studies programme is taught throughout the two years
The final major project is internally assessed and externally moderated. The unit is grades Pass, Merit or Distinction and determines the overall qualification grade.
Our focus is contemporary practice with a particular emphasis on innovation and creativity. This study programme will give you the technical framework and visual dexterity to become as well as the confidence to progress to level 3.
Explore, challenge and develop your
• Art and design practice, the creative thinking process, your problem-solving skills, research skills, self-directed study techniques and an ability to communicate with an audience
• Confidence to work across disciplines e.g. fine art, public art, textiles wit fashion, Design Crafts, Photography graphic image making using mobile applications and electronic devices,
• English and Maths through either a Functional Skills or GCSE retake programme
• English and Maths together and computer skills are embedded throughout all the vocational assignments
Progression & Career Opportunities
Employability skills and industry experience e.g. team working, self-promotion and survival skills, curating and analysing health and safety issues for site specific art/design work, project management, listening skills, adaptability and flexibility via live assignments, collaborative projects and entrepreneurial activity. Portfolio preparation for internal / external progression onto Level 3 art and design and alternative progression choices.
This qualification helps you to progress on to
• UAL Level 3 Diploma /Extended Diploma in Art and Design Study Programmes in: General Art and Design, Textiles with Fashion; Graphic Design and Photography
• traineeship, apprenticeships within the wider commercial/creative based industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College. Employment e.g. junior assistant in shop/window display or arts/crafts retail industry
Please note in order to progress to a UAL Level 3 Diploma /Extended Diploma in Art and Design Study Programmes you will need to achieve a Pass for your UAL Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design
• You will need to have 2 GCSEs at grade 9 - 3 (A* - D) to include an art or design related subject, or an Introductory Diploma in Art & Design or a Level 1 BTEC Diploma.
• A portfolio of recent work must be presented at the Welcome Event that reflects your study of an arts related GCSE qualification achieved thus far and your interest in the arts area.
• Show at Welcome Event an interest in the Art & Design Industry
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Learning Assessment & Support
We want you to achieve to the very best of your ability at CRC. To make this happen we offer both learning and personal support by specialist staff tailored to meet your specific needs.
How to Apply
Students who currently attend a Cambridge Area Partnership school should apply through Mychoice@16
You can also apply through a CRC Application Form or download and complete here. If you need any help with applying, please contact our Admissions Office on tel. 01223 418448.
Once we have received your application, you will be invited to attend a Welcome Event, which gives you and your parents/carers the opportunity to have a look around the College, talk to the tutors and ask any questions you may have.