Level 1 Introductory Diploma in Business
|Course Duration:||1 Year(s)|
|Course Mode:||Full Time|
This level 1 Study Programme provides a key foundation in developing your confidence and study skills. The Study Programme will give a taster of the specialism in the area of Business and will help to inform your progression to a more focussed specialist area at level 2. Over the academic year you will study a number of specialist core units covering the creation of business documentation, customer service and Health & Safety at work which will support you in developing your skills, knowledge and understanding of marketing, ownership and function of a business and how to budget.
In addition you will study English, Maths and IT subject areas which are vitally important for your progression into employment, apprenticeships, higher education or to progress to the next level course. You will complete 30 hours of work experience.
The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop your:
• oral and written business communication skills as these are valued highly by employers
• personal presentation, time keeping, planning and organisation
• understanding "enterprise" skills as you may be working for yourself
• English and Maths through either a Pathway or GCSE retake programme
• English, Maths and IT skills through the vocational assignments
• CV and interview practice techniques ready for progression
• employability skills e.g. self-management, problem-solving, leadership and personal values demonstrating adaptability,
sensitivity, reliability and support for your peers by working with other level 1 learners on collaborative projects
Compulsory residential activities to develop team work and practical skills are an integral part of the course. There is an additional cost of £220 to cover these trips as well as covering costs of day trips or residential and guest speakers. This charge is to be paid at enrolment and is non-refundable. The Learner Support Fund is available and could help assist in paying towards these fees.
Additional requirements are below:
• attendance at a Welcome Event and at taster days
• a reference is required
Progression & Career Opportunities
This qualification helps you to progress on to
• the BTEC Level 2 Certificate Study Programme in Business
• traineeships, apprenticeships within the wider commercial industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College
• employment e.g. clerical or retail assistant in supermarket or e.g. garden centre
Please note in order to progress to a Level 2 BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate Study Programme in Business you will need to achieve a pass for your Level 1 BTEC Diploma.
You will need 2 GCSEs at grade 2 (E) or above
• At the Welcome Event you will be asked to talk about why you are interested in the Business area e.g. what area of Business interests you, why you want to study Business and where do you want to progress to after the course.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Learning Assessment & Support
We want you to achieve to the very best of your ability at CRC. To make this happen we offer both learning and personal support by specialist staff tailored to meet your specific needs.
Course work is continually assessed by a range of methods which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment, feedback from clients and panel reviews. The grade of pass may be awarded to course work.
The Study Programmes are over 3 days each week.
There is regular one to one tutorial provision.
How to Apply
Students who currently attend a Cambridge Area Partnership school should apply through UCASprogress.com or by using the Cambridge Area Partnership Application Form, which is held by your Careers Teacher at school.
Once we have received your application, you will be invited to attend a Welcome Event, which gives you and your parents/carers the opportunity to have a look around the College, talk to the tutors and ask any questions you may have.