The course is designed for
- students who wish to widen their understanding and knowledge of English
- professionals who want to develop their English and pursue further development in their careers
- students who may want to go to university
- students who have already applied to university
The course will develop the following skills:
- The organisation of texts
- Understanding the gist and the detail of a text
- Understanding the purpose of a text
- Evaluating the arguments of a text
- Levels of formality and register
- Understanding the purpose of essays and reports
- Planning and drafting essays and reports
- Paraphrasing, summarising, synthesising
- Referencing (avoiding plagiarism)
- Fluency and accuracy in more complex topics
- Conversational skills
- Presentation skills
- Analysing and discussing ideas and opinions
- Debating skills
- Understanding gist and detail from a variety of spoken sources
- Taking notes from extensive reading and from lectures and discussions
- Summarising arguments when note taking
- Understanding the notion of bias
- Understanding and analysing/evaluating arguments
- Understanding the purpose of the exam questions
- Planning and structuring the answers
- Practice in a variety of exams (IELTS or Cambridge Suite)
- Understanding the marking criteria
It is recommended that you sit the IELTS or one of the Cambridge Suite examinations at the end of the course. We can help you with this.
- Address any issue common to the group
- Discuss time management and motivation
- Discuss your progress
- Set targets with the help of your tutor
- Get support for your university application (if applicable)
It is our intention that the maximum class size be 15. However, at the start of a course it may be the case there are up to 16 students enrolled.
Minimum Age – 16 years old
Minimum Intermediate level of English required. Proof of English will be required such as an FCE certificate or IELTS taken in the last 2 years. If the student does not have any formal English qualification, they will undertake the Cambridge Regional College English Assessment.
If you don’t meet the English requirement, we can offer an alternative General English course.
You can choose to take one term (9 to 13 weeks) or to complete three terms for a full academic year depending on your level of English and goals. In the process of studying with us, our Careers Team and personal tutors will support you with professional development advice.
- 10 September – 14 December 2018
- 7 January – 5 April 2019
- 24 April – 27 June 2019
Please find the tuition fee information in the list at the right side of this page.
Course fees include:
- Free tour of Cambridge
- Course materials
- Access to the Learning Resource Centre (= library) and its resources
- Advice on applying to Higher Education providers
- Visits from university representatives
- Scanning, printing and photocopying in the Learning Resource Centre
- Termly reports and end-of-year certificate based on final test
Course fees do not include:
- Trips to universities
- Social activities
- Exam fee
The cost of trips and activities depends on the number of students and other relavent information.
Students of this course may be suggested to take the IELTS exam or the Cambridge English exam.
The exam fee of IELTS is about £165 in 2018, and will be about £170 in 2019. You can take the exam locally at Anglia Ruskin University or choose from the many IELTS centres in the UK. Where you take your test will depend on your circumstances. You can look for exam centres at www.ielts.org.
The exam fee of Cambridge English in 2018/19 is approximately £143. You will need to do this yourself by applying on the Cambridge Open Centre website: http://www.cambridgeopencentre.org/ .
The Application Form will need to be submitted with copy of passport.
Applicants under 18 years old need to complete both an Under 18Registration Form and an Application Form, including information on emergency contact details.
Applicants over 18 years old need to complete an Application Form, including information on emergency contact details.
Students will receive an offer letter outlining the start and end dates and the cost of the programme.
If the student wants to accept the offer they will need to return the Acceptance slip.
The invoice will be issued for the full Tuition fee. Payment is due three weeks before the start of the course.
Please be aware that we have limited places and we cannot guarantee places until fees have been paid in full.
To find more details on this course, please click here.
If you are interested in this course, please click on the following button to apply.