Cambridge Regional College - Centre of Vocational Excellence

Noemi Civitarese of St Catharine’s College is our ICT Apprentice of the Year in annual awards

Noemi Civitarese has been named ICT Apprentice of the Year in annual awards organised by Cambridge Regional College.

The awards are an opportunity to celebrate excellent employers and employees across the region.

Noemi, 30, Front of House Assistant Manager at St Catharine’s College in Cambridge, said: “I never expected to achieve my qualification never mind be named an apprentice of the year, so am really proud of what I’ve achieved.

“I would like to thank teacher Mark Panter and my Catering Director Rob Jonas for all of their help and support to achieve this.

“Studying in a different language is a challenge but it is possible. I want to say to anybody considering it, but feeling worried, to give it a go. If you don’t try you will never know. I would also say don’t worry. Once you get used to it you find the study gets easier.”

Noemi came to England from Italy in 2011 and went to private study to improve her English. She only planned to stay for three months then return home, however she love it so much she stayed on and found work.

“First, I worked for King’s College as front of house and was then promoted to supervisor at the Cambridge Union Society. I then came to St Catharine’s College.

“The opportunity came to study for an ICT qualification through the apprenticeship qualification which has been really useful.

“Every day I use the skills I’ve learnt like Excel and Word. I am always learning and always applying the things I’ve learnt.

I started studying for this ICT apprenticeship in January 2018 and in July 2019.

“As part of this I have had to study and pass English and Maths which has been hard at times because English is not my first language. However, I worked hard and passed and am so proud of achieving that. It has not always been easy to juggle work and study but it has been enjoyable and I’m really pleased I did it. My family are very proud.

•  To find out more about learning via the apprenticeship route follow the link

Cambridge Campus Status

Huntingdon Campus Status