Cambridge Regional College - Centre of Vocational Excellence

Hannah Westhead has been named Digital Marketing Apprentice of the Year in our annual awards

Hannah Westhead has been named Digital Marketing Apprentice of the Year in annual awards organised by Cambridge Regional College.

The awards are an opportunity to celebrate excellent employers and employees across the region.

Hannah, 18, said: “Being an apprentice has given me the chance to try lots of different parts of the job, while also earning at the same time.”

Hannah was at sixth form studying graphic design and business, but it just wasn’t for her so she began looking for opportunities in apprenticeships.

“I had enjoyed media at GCSE level, so I looked into Digital Marketing.

“This apprenticeship came up and I began in February 2019. It offers the chance of being in a more grown up environment, while still learning and not being thrown into the deep end straight away, which has been really good.

“I’ve got involved in things like Search Engine Optimisation, website updates, key words, writing adverts, page reach and understanding how business works.

Hannah recently oversaw a group of 6th form students who visited the company recently for experience on website building.

“It made me realise just how much I have learnt and how far I’ve come,” she said.

Karen King, General Manager of Web2Market, said: “Apprenticeships are a good step into the world of work while also getting a meaningful qualification that is relevant to the job.

“We have been exceptionally lucky with Hannah as she is incredible. She is amazing at her job and taken to it like a duck to water.

“For us it has been about getting the youth perspective into the business and having somebody who looks at thing with a fresh pair of eyes and a new angle. Especially important in the world of Digital Marketing as the younger generation have grown up with this. They see things in a totally different light. It’s part of their culture.

“The company has always had an ethos of helping young people by offering work experience so the apprenticeship opportunity was an ideal opportunity to grow and develop that. It has been ideal to bring in fresh talent and experience. We have learnt from each other.”

•  To find out more about learning via the apprenticeship route follow the link

Cambridge Campus Status

Huntingdon Campus Status