Cambridge Regional College - Centre of Vocational Excellence

Mechanical engineer took the plunge to follow her dream career thanks to the apprenticeship scheme

A successful mechanical engineer says she almost didn’t apply for her apprenticeship role because she didn’t have the confidence to go for it.

Luckily, Jemima Clayton plucked up the courage and is flourishing in her role, with a global medical manufacturing firm in King’s Lynn.

Jemima, is responsible for maintaining the machinery and equipment for Consort Medical – Bespak, which manufactures a range of drug delivery devices..

Jemima, 20, enjoys her daily work, alongside studying one day a week at Cambridge Regional College, and is encouraging others to follow their dreams and believe to achieve.

“My dad worked at Bespak so I grew up hearing about engineering, but didn’t have the confidence to go for it,” Jemima said. “I almost didn’t fill in the application. I’m so glad I did!”

Once she began she knew it was the right choice.

“Being able to see my end goal while in work has been great,” she said.

“Mixing college studies alongside work means everything makes sense and ties in. Being an apprentice works really well for that reason.

“It’s also good to see what other engineers are doing and learn from them. It has helped me decide which direction to go in in my career.”

“The apprenticeship route suits my learning style of studying and backing it up with work-based learning. The two complement each other.”

In addition, her managers have been super supportive and college teachers are always at the end of an email if needed. They’re experienced, know their subject and are always willing to help, she said.

Jemima is completing her coursework with flying colours and is about to start her second year of Higher Education qualifications in Level 4 Mechanical Engineering.

To find out more about apprenticeships:

Call our careers advisors on 01223 418200 or visit our website on https://www.camre.ac.uk/apprenticeships/

If you are an employer interested in the apprenticeship scheme visit the employers link for more information https://www.camre.ac.uk/employers/

To find out more about Consort Medical visit www.consortmedical.com

Cambridge Campus Status

The Cambridge Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18

Huntingdon Campus Status

The Huntingdon Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18