Student golfers head for national championships

Two young golfing stars from Cambridge Regional College have won their way through to the national finals of the biggest student sporting event in the UK.

County players Isaac Rowlands, 18, a Sport Studies student, and Oliver Rust, 16, a Heating and Ventilation apprentice, will represent the eastern region and CRC in the Association of Colleges Sport National Championships in Nottingham in April.

Isaac Rowlands

Oliver Rust

Oliver, who has a handicap of one and has been playing for the county since he was just nine, became under 18 boys’ county champion when he was 15 and last year was under-16 captain.

“I’d like to be a professional golfer. I am really proud to be representing the college and I am looking forward to the competition,” said Oliver, who plays at the Gog Magog Golf Club.

Isaac, who plays at Ely City Golf Club and has been a county golfer for four years, captained the Under 18 team for the last two years before moving on to play in the county men’s B team.

He also has his sights set on a career in golfing, currently playing off a handicap of four. He said: “I am very happy about going to the finals. There was a lot of pressure in the qualifying match and it was nerve-wracking knowing I had to par the last hole to win through.

“I want to get to the best standard I can in the next couple of years and I definitely want to do something in the golfing industry, either as a professional golfer or a coach.”

Isaac and Oliver will compete against athletes from colleges across England and Wales, with all competitors aiming for both individual and team glory – starting off with the golf tournament on 20 April.

The AoC Sport National Championships, now in its 40th year, is the largest student sporting event in the UK, with over 1,600 students competing in 13 different sports over three days.

CRC lecturer Tom Hall said it was a fantastic achievement to have two students in the golf finals.

“Isaac and Oliver are both very talented golfers and worked hard to beat tough competition to get to the finals. We’re delighted that they will be representing the college in such a great national competition,” he said.

MEDIA ENQUIRIES
For more information, please contact Lynn O’Shea, Communications & PR Manager, on 01223 418773 or email loshea@camre.ac.uk

Cambridge Campus Status

The Cambridge Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18

Huntingdon Campus Status

The Huntingdon Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18