Students champion ‘This Girl Can’ campaign

Two students who are passionate about sport are championing a national campaign to encourage more girls to get active.

Sophie Day, 17, and Amber Dyra, 17, will be campaigning for ‘This Girl Can’ – a national movement developed by Sport England – after being chosen as ambassadors for the initiative.

‘This Gilr Can’ ambassadors Amber and Sophie

The students, both studying Sport at Cambridge Regional College, were selected for the roles by Sport England and underwent a busy day of training in London to support a college-based campaign.

Amber, who coaches for Cambridge Junior Cycling Club, said: “For me sport is a passion and I want others to have a passion as well. I know girls can get intimidated when they go along to a boy-dominated sport like cycling. Girls need to feel comfortable in sport.”

Sophie, who represents the college at netball, said it was a campaign she was very keen to support.

“This is something I believe in. I went to the college’s Festival of Achievement and heard former student Holly Hayes speak. She is an ambassador for This Girl Can and I was really inspired by her so I applied. We will target girls and help them get involved in sport,” she said.

The two students will be raising funding for This Girl Can events at the college and have been given a target of getting 30 girls active in sport over the year.

Their tutor, Katie Wright, said they would be working to inspire students across the college to become more active.

“Sophie and Amber are both passionate about sport and will be inspiring other girls to be more active with fun events and sporting activities. They did extremely well at the selection event to be appointed as ambassadors for This Girl Can and we’re looking forward to lots of activities in the college,” she said.

MEDIA ENQUIRIES
For more information, please contact Lynn O’Shea, Communications & PR Manager, on 01223 418773 or email loshea@camre.ac.uk

Cambridge Campus Status

Cambridge Campus open and running as normal.
Updated: 10/12/17

Huntingdon Campus Status

Huntingdon Campus open and running as normal.
Updated: 10/12/17